Wednesday 21 April 2010

Glastonbury 2010 - the build up begins!

As you may or may not know, the Glastonbury festival starts in just over 2 months. As ever, I try to keep my excitement to myself, but it's not easy sometimes. The lineup this year - from a personal point of view - is absolutely astonishing, and as it's my first trip back to the Vale of Avalon - as well as being my last festival for a good few years - I've decided to add to the excitement of the build up by writing a few things about the place and some of the acts I want to see over the next 9 weeks or so.



An aerial view of the sunny festival site in 2008

So what are my (non-musical) hopes for 2010? The following:

  • SUN!!!! There hasn't been a completely rain-free festival since 2002, and the last absolute scorcher was way back in 1995. SURELY we're due a change of luck?! I have yet to experience a completely dry Glastonbury in 5 previous trips, yet I've still suffered a couple of washouts.
  • Plenty of new foods I have to try, thanks to many recommendations from extremely helpful and informative members of efestivals. Right up there has to be The Thali Cafe - which I can't believe I'm yet to visit. However, I'm sure trips to old favourites such as La Grande Bouffe and Pieminister will also be in order.
  • I have to try and stay up later. I've not experienced the true night life of Glastonbury before, which is one of the main attractions for many people. I've walked around the likes of Trash City and Shangri La during the day, but that's a bit like going on the London Eye on a foggy day.
  • A real ale crawl! The Bimble Inn, The Red Flag and The Avalon Inn always have a decent variety of very tasty beers on offer.
  • Cider - in particular from the Burrow Hill Cider Bus and of course The Brothers Bar - to be quaffed at regular intervals, but obviously not so much that I can't concentrate, enjoy or indeed remember some of the superb acts on the line up....

There is so much to do, and so little time to do it.

It's going to be a long 9 weeks - I cannot wait.


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait too!

    Having finally made it to Glastonbury in 2008 looking forward to my third festival with the family.

    I say 'with' but my teenage son would leave the tent at midday and return in early hours having seen completely different bands to us!

    Personnally I'm aiming to spend more time on the edges of the festival this year. I'll have a couple of must sees each day and then go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete